If you are a car owner, one of the important measures you need to take to protect yourself in the event of a car accident is getting a car insurance policy. If you have a legally registered car in Maryland, failure to buy auto insurance coverage for your car could land you in trouble with the law. The state of Maryland establishes the financial responsibility of car owners by requiring them to prove they have insurance documents during the vehicle registration process. The minimum requirements for auto insurance in Maryland include the following:
- Liability coverage: If you own a private passenger vehicle, you must procure a minimum of $20,000 to cover for bodily harm to one person, $40,000 for two or more people and at least $15,000 to cover property damage.
- Uninsured motorist coverage to protect a driver/owner of a vehicle in the event of an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Personal injury Protection of at least $2,500.
- Maryland car owners who do not comply with the minimum insurance requirements outlined above may face the following penalties:
- Pay fines of $150 for the first 30 days that you do not comply with the requirements and pay $7 for each day after the 30 day mark.
- Get your car registration revoked and have to reapply for registration afresh once you meet the minimum insurance requirements.
- Serve a jail term of at least one year.
Top Maryland Car Insurance Companies
In view of the stiff penalties you may have to deal with if you do not comply with the states auto insurance laws, it is important to ensure that you get a suitable car insurance policy from a reliable insurance company before registering your car. The following are some of the best auto insurance companies in Maryland:
Geico Insurance Company
This Company offers different insurance services and its auto insurance products are quite popular in Maryland. Geico offers car insurance coverage for: bodily, injury, property damage, personal injury, comprehensive physical damage and collision. Geico has some of the best customer service ratings in Maryland.
Allstate Insurance Company
With an estimated financial value of over a hundred billion dollars, this is one of the largest insurance companies in America. Because of its financial strength, Allstate offers more comprehensive auto insurance coverage in comparison to other auto insurance companies in Maryland. For instance, in addition to other basic auto insurance coverage, the company offers coverage for towing and labor cost, car sound systems and rental reimbursement to cover the cost you incur if you have to rent another vehicle while your car is in a repair shop.
Elephant Insurance Company
Elephant offers affordable rates for auto insurance coverage options such as bodily injury, roadside assistance, property damage liability among other basic covers such as comprehensive physical damage and collision.
Progressive Insurance Company
If you are shopping for a car insurance cover on a budget, Progressive Insurance Company is an insurer worth considering. This company creates custom auto insurance packages based on the individual budgetary needs of clients.
Nationwide Insurance Company
In addition to the basic auto insurance coverage packages that car owners in Maryland require, Nationwide offers some of the best discounts of car insurance rates in the Maryland auto insurance sector. For instance, Nationwide offers a vanishing deductible product used to reward safe drivers by reducing their car insurance deductible.
To ensure that you get the best auto insurance coverage at an affordable rate, it is advisable to research thoroughly on the different types of coverage offered by various Maryland auto insurance companies. You also can also obtain quotes from various companies by using websites such as Marylandcarinsurancequotes.org.
For discounts on policies in major Maryland cities, check out:
Maryland Gov Website
Maryland Insurance Administration